Tuesday, February 07, 2006

PROPPING UP PROFITS


Business is business, right?

And it's a savvy business that can attract millions from the public sector while making absolutely nothing - and even better, pay people nothing for supplying the goods.

Propeller TV has now officially launched. Touted as a platform for new and emerging film and TV talent, it broadcasts on Sky Channel 289 (due to move later in the month). In an earlier blog, I told of my mate's experience when he was asked to submit work - the 49 quid fee charged, the signing away of rights. Judging by their 'revised' submissions process it seems that they've tidied up their act - now you can sign away your rights (and if you think a non-exclusive deal is worth having, think again) and give Propeller permission to edit your work in any old way - including dubbing your movie into any language. Either way, you won't see any money.

So for all of you budding filmmakers who've slaved in call centres and bars to scratch the cash to make your camcorder masterpiece and who think Propeller's the opportunity of a lifetime - their website breezily claims 'commissioning editors may be watching' - I have three words of advice...

YOU'VE BEEN FRAMED.

At least they pay £250 a pop - and it goes out network.

Shame on Yorkshire Forward, the Film Council, the Press Association, Skillset and all the other self-serving parties that fund and endorse this dodgy venture. If you really want a film business in this country, then try paying the people who make the films, not give Propeller licence to rob them in the guise of giving us a break. Some of us know the length, width and depth of the shaft...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont tell me, they didn't like your films? I have submitted ten and they are all getting shown. I didnt submit them to make money, but for exposure. Id rather someone sees my films than no one. Besides they are not worth anything. !!
check them out..
http://www.chelmsfordfilmsociety.com

2/09/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger Leanne Smith said...

Miaow to you too, anonymous.

But you're wrong. I'd never dream of submitting my work to provide someone with free content when they have millions of pounds of public money at their disposal. The best you can say is Propeller seems to have dropped the 49 quid 'submission fee' they tried to charge my mate for submitting his films.

I find it sad if you think your films aren't worth anything. I happen to think the opposite - a lot of time, work and good faith from other people helped to get my films made. By engaging with the likes of Propeller, you're endorsing a system that thinks it's okay not to pay filmmakers for their work, which in my view is wrong. As for exposure - I don't know how much of an audience Propeller gets on Channel 289. But I wish you luck with it and I'll check your site.

2/10/2006 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how are propeller crooks? you dont have to send them anything ifu dont want. Is your film full of commercial music then? Basicly i make films with my mates in a day all improvised. id rather they be the worst films ever than medicore embarrasments. Yeah im sure fuk all people watch propeller but maybe some do.. just maybe things may turn out well? maybe some prick will say, the chelmsford film society are ok and give me some dolla for Chelmsford stimmer massacre

2/11/2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Leanne Smith said...

Hey Mr Angry Anonymous, let me tell you why.

I'm allowed my opinion. That's what this blog's for. Propeller are crooks because in recent months their business has been less than transparent. When my mate was invited to submit his films, the 'contract' (undated, unsigned, well amateur) came not from Propeller, but from an outfit called Rapid Eye Motion Ltd, which is linked to another outfit called Real Shoppe - a shopping channel that was pulled from Sky last year. All very dodgy.

Of course no-one's forced to submit. But you're a bit quick to make assumptions - the music in my films has been cleared for commercial use - at my expense - so like a blowjob I'm hardly likely to give it away for free, am I?

And what's wrong with mediocre? It's what drives the UK film industry. If you think crap is good and will get you noticed then at least you're doing your own thing and good luck to you mate. Just don't expect FilmFour to beat a path to your door any time soon...

So stop moaning at me, will you? Or at least use your name.

2/13/2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger Leanne Smith said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2/17/2006 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home